Oprah’s YA Picks Color-less

::Sigh::

I think I liked it better when Oprah simply ignored children’s fiction.

Not even our vanguards made the list.

I don’t get it! I just don’t get it.

But wait…the 6-9 year old reading range features Janice Harrington and Henry’s Freedom Box illustrated by Kadir Nelson.

There is that.

And the MG list is the most diverse.

So there’s that.

9 Responses to Oprah’s YA Picks Color-less

1. Sabra says:

sighing with you…

2. Doret says:

Very Frustrating

3. pageturnerchick says:

Perhaps she’s not aware of any YA African-American writers. It’s possible she could have given this assignment to someone else. In that case, she needs a nudge.

4. Paula says:

Normally I’d say – we need to step up our game, but honestly I think there are resources out there, where there weren’t as many a year or two years ago. People simply have to WANT their lists to reflect the diversity of society which will require more research on the part of the people doing the listing. But I think book/reader people are doing their grassroots part to make sure the information exists.

5. Tee says:

Unfortunately, I’m not at all surprised. <>

6. Tee says:

I just looked at the other lists (10-12, 6-9) There are some other AA books represented. Maybe 2-4 more. I guess that’s a little better than just one.

7. susan says:

Edi wrote about this and I went straight to the site, registered and then complained. I don’t care if Oprah personally knew. I care that she obviously has a staff who is oblivious to writers of color and that is unacceptable. What does it take to simply acknowledge the diversity that exists in this society?

8. paulahy says:

@Tee You’re right and I went back and added that list in, for fairness.

I mistakenly thought the YA list was the 10-12 list and I didn’t click on that link. I didn’t realize the YA list was 13+.

So thanks for pointing that out.

9. [...] had these same thoughts when I posted the Oprah Book Club picks. But, in the end, decided that it was worth ranting (albeit low key) [...]