Nominations Now Open for 28 Days Later!

28dayslogo

Happy Labor Day!

As today is the day our nation has set aside for celebrating the myriad social and economic contributions of our American labor force (which all too often tends to go unlauded the rest of the year), it is more than fitting that we’ve chosen today to open up nominations for 28 Days Later-2015!

28 Days Later is The Brown Bookshelf’s flagship initiative, a month-long showcase of the best in Picture Books, Early Readers, Chapter Books, Middle Grade and Young Adult novels written and illustrated by African Americans. Each day in February, we will profile a different children’s/young adult author or illustrator, hard-working African American artists who we’ve identified as creators of quality literature for young people!

The nominations we seek should be for authors, illustrators, or books that meet the following criteria:

*New Children’s or Young Adult book releases

*Children’s or Young Adult books that have “flown under the radar”

*African-American authors or illustrators

*Titles published by a traditional publisher for the trade market.

Nominations will be accepted beginning today, September 1, through October 31, 2014. To nominate an author or illustrator, simply post a comment here, or email us at email@thebrownbookshelf.com. Feel free to nominate as many individuals (or books) as you like!

Note: To avoid nominating individuals who have already been honored, please check out our previous honorees at the following links:

28 DAYS LATER – 2014

28 DAYS LATER – 2013

28 DAYS LATER – 2012

28 DAYS LATER – 2011

28 DAYS LATER – 2010

28 DAYS LATER – 2009

28 DAYS LATER – 2008

Thanks in advance for your participation in this year’s campaign. We can’t wait to see who you nominate!

Advertisements

39 Responses to Nominations Now Open for 28 Days Later!

1. krlemmons says:

Happy Labor Day to you Brown Bookshelf! I so look forward to your 28 Days Later. I skimmed the previous lists. I did not see these authors/illustrators, but I can be wrong.

Tonya Bolden
    Shane Evans
    Sean Qualls
    Beverly Jenkins
    Sister Souljah
    Coe Booth (?)
    Andrea Davis Pinkney (?)
    Brian Pinkney (?)
    Jaime Adoff
    Julius Lester (?)
    G. Neri (?)
    Ntozake Shange

That’s it for now. If I think of more, I’ll submit them! Thanks for your consideration!

2. krlemmons says:

Hello BBS! After reviewing the past lists, I saw that Jaime Adoff, Julius Lester and Andrea Davis Pinkney were already honored. So, I am adding Kia Dupree, Edwidge Danticat, Jesmyn Ward, Travis Hunter, Fredrick L. McKissack, Jr.,

3. krlemmons says:

Forgot about Ernest Gaines!

4. Natasha Gordon-Chipembere says:

I would love to nominate WILLOW by Tonya Chere Hegamin!!

5. Keisha says:

I would like to nominate Tonya Hegamin and her most recent novel, Willow. It’s the kind of book you can’t put down! A great read and historically significant.

6. Barbara Jordan says:

Definitely! I would like to add my nomination for Tonya Hegamin and her wonderful new book Willow.

7. Aldustus Jordan, III says:

I nominate Tonya Hegamin for her new book Willow.

8. Natasha Beaumont says:

Tonya Cherie Hegamin for her newest book, Willow.

9. Ibi Zoboi says:

Sherri L. Smith author of ORLEANS.
    Brandi Colbert author of POINTE

Ditto Tonya Hegamin

Had a bunch of other names, but they’ve already been featured. Will we run out of authors?

10. tamekafbrown says:

Thanks for your nominations. Keep them coming!

11. Michelle says:

I’d like to nominate Talia Aikens-Nunez, author of OMG…Am I a Witch?! an early mid-grade reader full of fun characters and magic.

12. karla trotman says:

Tonya Hegamin, Willow.

13. Christa Douaihy, Esq. says:

I nominate Tonya Cherie Hegamin for Willow, a beautiful and important book. Thanks.

14. Anita Trotman says:

WILLOW, a beautiful new novel by Tonya Cherie Hegamin, and its author, gets my nomination.

15. suzanne cornell says:

Please honor Tonya Cherie Hegamin, author of WILLOW for this distinct and well-deserved honor.
    Suzanne Cornell

16. An Una Production says:

Okay, since everyone has nominated Tonya Cherie Hegamin, I’ll nominate:
    Alex Wheatle
    Shannon Gibney
    Nicola Yoon
    Denise Lewis Patrick
    Renée Watson
    Dhonielle Clayton (I know you’ve featured her company, but how about her book she co-authored?)

17. Lisa Leaphart says:

Willow, by Tonya Hegamin

18. Christina Villegas says:

Hands Down! I nominate Willow by Tonya Hegamin for 28 Days Late 2015. Meets/Matches/Embraces all your criteria and is an incredibly important book.

19. Melanie Layne says:

I would like to nominate Tonya Hegamin for her book Willow!

20. J says:

Mom! What’s That? by Atlas Jordan ISBN: 9781620861431
    Grandma! Can I Get a Dog? by Barry Jordan Jr. ISBN: 9781620861417

21. I nominate Charles and Elisheba Johnson for their ground breaking book, Bending Time; The Adventures of Emery Jones, Boy Science Wonder.

22. Mujahid Abdul-Aleem says:

I nominate Robyn Z. Abdusamad
    Children Books: “Wahid & His Special Friend” and “You Are Beautiful”

23. Hafsa says:

I would like to nominate Wahid & His Special Friend and You Are Beautiful by Robyn Abdusamad.

24. An Una Production says:

I don’t know if this book is Young Adult or not, I’ll let you decide.
    Disgruntled: A Novel by Asali Solomon.

It’s says it’s a coming-of age book. it’s also his debut novel.

25. Danyell says:

I nominate Robyn Abdusamad for Wahid & His Special Friend and You Are Beautiful.

26. C Buchanon says:

Please accept my nomination for Constance Panton, author of the wonderful and charming book Danielli Brambelli: The Terrible Sleeper.

27. Michelle Frederick says:

I would like to nominate Danielli Brambelli-A terrible sleeper by Constance Panton

28. Paula Mapp says:

I would like to nominate Constance Panton Danielli Brambelli-The a Terrible Sleeper

29. C Buchanon says:

I would like to nominate Constance Panton for her wonderful book Danielli Brambelli: The Terrible Sleeper.

30. Mecca Ali says:

Good Day BBS,
    I would like to nominate ” Danielli Brambelli-The Terrible Sleeper” for the Brown Bookshelf 28 Days Later 2014. It was authored by Constance Panton!

31. Pauline says:

Hi brown bookshelf…I’m so glad to have stumbled into this website while searching for African children’s books authors!
    These writers have phenomenal books with a variety of topics not only captivating to a young mind but also to adults…like me!
    For now, I nominate, Jerry Craft and Katheryn Russell-Brown for various reasons. Congratulations you two!:) Pauline W

32. Omera Posts says:

I would like to nominate Robyn Abdusamad for her books “Wahid and His Special Friend” and “You Are Beautiful”.

33. Jennifer G says:

I’m nominating Constance Panton book “Danielli Brambelli: The Terrible Sleeper.”

34. Kyra says:

In the picture book category, I nominate author Shantel Goodman for Trudie’s Travels series.

35. Erin Bush says:

I’d like to nominate Caribbean diaspora author Amalie Howard, author of Waterfell, The Almost Girl, and more from Harlequin Teen.

36. Erin Bush says:

I’d also like to nominate Justina Ireland, author of YA SF novels Promise of Shadows and Vengeance Bound; as well as Kwame Alexander, author of middle grade verse novel, The Crossover, YA contemporary He Said, She Said, and the picture book Acoustic Rooster.

37. Hi,
    I would like to nominate Mélina Mangal for the “Under the Radar” category. She is the author of 4 biographies, as well as short fiction, emphasizing under-represented groups. Thank you!